Thursday, January 13, 2011

another crochet hat

My girl LOVES hats.  The first thing she does when she wakes up, is finds a hat to wear.  Then she will giggle and laugh when she puts it on, and say "hat" while patting her head, over and over again.  So I could not resist making her one, and you know what? She has not taken it off since I gave it to her three hours ago.



I basically followed the hat pattern here, minus the ears and face.  I used a size k hook, instead of a J, and I followed her instructions for a bigger hat.  then I used instructions from this hat to do the flaps and the tie's
finally, I followed instructions here for the bow, and sewed it to the hat.  You could also do a flower, or a ribbon.

I only had one problem.  I really like textured yarn lately, so I used this yarn that I got for only $1 in the clearance bin (that is right, this hat cost me $1 and about and hour and a half of my time, while I watched a movie).  Since this yarn is thick in some places and thin in others (not the recommended worsted weight, for the pattern) I had to make adjustments for the size.  In fact, the directions I just gave you ended up making a small hat, too small for my 18 month old.  But it fit my 9 month old niece great.  So I made a second one for my 18 month old, making it bigger this time.


I know the texture may look sloppy, but I like how it turned out.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Olga said...

Very cute hat and your daughter is adorable!