Found this free pattern online and made this baby boy hat for a neighbor. It was really easy, I decided to use all one color, and omit the monkey ears.
Monday, January 25, 2010
I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I saw it on another blog. I have looked everywhere to find where I first saw this brilliant idea, but I can't. If I ever find it, I will give credit where credit is due.
My daughter's mittens do not stay on her hands, I am constantly putting them back on. They also get snow in them easily. When I saw this idea, I knew it was for me. The best part is that it cost $2 and took no more than five minutes for two pairs of mittens.
I bought two pairs of socks at the dollar store and cut the feet off
Put right sides together
and there you have it. The socks extend the gloves, and are elastic enough to hold the mittens on. They are stretchy enough to go over the coat, or under the coat. no more falling off mittens, and no more snow inside the gloves. Hopefully no more cold hands. Thank you to the brilliant mystery blogger for this simple idea
Sunday, January 10, 2010
I have been looking and looking for four years for a tablecloth long enough to fit on my kitchen table, with both extensions in (110"), not only are then hard to come by, but if I do find any, they are EXPENSIVE!, and usually not my style. I saw this and it inspired me to do the same thing, but for a tablecloth. I really want to get a ruffler foot, but for the sake of saving $30 (that is how much they are at Hancock fabrics, they also have a "hemmer foot" (see below)for $20) I made do without, and it turned out OK
I bought the painter's drop cloth at Ace hardware. It says it is Canvas, but it is really lightweight material, and easy to sew, it looks kind of like linen. Make sure to get the canvas one, some of the other ones can lock in moisture, which would ruin your table. This one is HUGE, but that is because I wanted it so long, I still have enough to make about two more, average size cloths. Since I bought the biggest one, it was $30 , but that's not bad for three tablecloths
I measured the top of my table and cut the cloth +1" on each side (for seam allowance, you could probably get away with only 1/2"). I did not pre-wash it, and I may be regretting that when I wash it and it doesn't fit my table with both leaves, but it should still fit with one). I would recommend pre-washing it.
Then I cut 5" wide strips to make the ruffle with (I think I will do 6" strips next time). I cut about 2.5-3 times the length of my perimeter. My little sister Beth let me borrow her "hemmer" foot and it was a lifesaver! I must get me one of these. I ran both edges through the hemmer foot so it would not fray when I washed it. (if you don't have a hemmer foot, you could hem it the old fashioned way (you may need to cut a wider strip though, the hemmer foot did a rolled 1/8" hem) You could also just cut your strip twice as wide and fold it in half, with the folded edge on the outside, if that makes sense, then it would still have a clean, non-frayed look, it would just be 2x as much fabric. or you could serge it if you are lucky enough to have a serger
Since I did not buy my coveted ruffler foot I just eyeballed the ruffles by hand, I did not pin, I just did it as I sewed.
I used some of my left over ruffle strips to rolled up these flowers, there was no rhyme or reason (sorry, I just finagled them until I like them) and I sewed them in place
I am happy with my finished product (those are not stains, those are watermarks from ironing it) I am going to make a much shorter one (which should be easier to cut and maneuver) for my outdoor table. It took about three hours to make, but most the time was hemming the ruffle strips.
Monday, January 4, 2010
I bought this pattern, and after making a pair, I was inspired to make the following mittens
I changed a lot of things, like I used a single crochet instead of a half double crochet, I did a different number of rounds, I did a different number of stitches in each round, I made them have the option of being fingerless, and I added the flower to the back. However, I would not have had the idea, or know where to begin if I did not make the ones I bought on Etsy. I have not written down a pattern for these ones, but if anyone wants one, I could post one. I am not going to do a tutorial on them, unless someone asks me for one in the comments