Wednesday, December 16, 2009

crochet scarf

My cute Nana (grandmother) always tried to teach me to knit and sew growing up, I was never interested, it was always way to old-fashioned, boring and girly for me. Well, about a year or two ago I wanted to learn how to crochet the edges of receiving blankets, so I asked my neighbor Heidi to show me how (she had given me some burps for my own baby). Until recently, this was the only crocheting I did, and knew how to do. Well, one day I found a cute pattern for a baby beanie and I wanted to learn how to make it. I figured I knew a lot of the stitches, so I just bought the pattern, some yarn and crochet hooks, and I went for it. It was a lot of trial and error (I think I made about 5 hats before I figured out I was doing them all wrong) I googled a lot of terms, and I watched a lot of you-tube demos, but I figured it out, and I was even proud of myself for doing so. I showed my older sister my first hat, and she told me that she wanted a flower scarf. I decided to take on the challenge. I had no idea how to make one, but I owned one, so I went home and studied it. My hubby was out of town, so every night for a week I put the kids to bed and crocheted and then unraveled dozens of flowers. I finally got it down and made my sister the following white scarf. I made the brown one for my other sister, and made a third one (not pictured) for my third sister. I liked the last one the best. I finally think I have it down, so next time I make one, I will try to post some kind of pattern for it



I am quite happy with how they turned out. However, these take quite a while to make, so if you get one from me, I must really love you
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That is so cute! How in the world do you have time for all of this? You clearly cope with a newborn better than I do. I really want to know how to make this, it is so cute!
I was planning on giving you a hat that I had crocheted for Hazel and now that I see you have made a bunch of your own I'm going to have to get a new present for you.